Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My thoughts on Trade Deadline 09

Well....for the most part it was pretty anticlimactic. I kinda felt bad for the guys on TSN who were desperate for a trade - any trade to happen. It seemed like there were more trades after the deadline than prior.

From a Penguins point of view, they picked up a 4th round grinder - Craig Adams - off waivers from Chicago. My guess is he will be the guy that ultimately replaces Godard on the 4th line as we head into the later part of the year, and (hopefully) into the playoffs. The great thing about getting Adams, is that we didn't have to give anything up for him....and he has won a cup (with Carolina)


The biggest Penguin news of deadline day 09 was the acquisition of Bill Guerin form the Islanders for a conditional draft pick. A 5th round pick if the Pens don't make the playoffs, a 4th round pick if Pittsburgh makes the playoffs, and a 3rd round draft pick if we win a playoff round.
After letting this deal sink in a little, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense, and the more I like it.
Worst case scenario is a 3rd round pick - not bad considering Washington made a deal for Guerin for a 2nd round draft pick a few days before. The deal fell apart due to the fact the Capitals couldn't make room under the cap.
Guerin should fit in well with the Pens, who need a veteran presence.
Guerin has won a Stanley cup with New Jersey in '95
Hopefully he'll teach Crosby to stop the yapping too :)



Overall, I'd have to say I was a little disappointed. I thought the Pens would get a top tier winger to play with Sid, but really none of the teams in the East made a big deal - sign of the times, I guess.

The biggest winners of the day in my opinion:
1.Calgary
2. Phoenix
3.Edmonton


Losers:
1. NY Rangers (totally overpaid - again)
2.Philadelphia (It might as wll have been 1998 for them..lol)
3.Montreal (did nothing for a bad team on 100th anniversary )

So, I am glad the winners were in the West, and now the Rangers, Flyers, and Canadiens have yet another reason for me to call them losers - like they really needed one.

No comments:

Post a Comment