Sunday, May 31, 2009

SCF Game 1: Good to be Lucky



And I mean lucky.

As per any real sports fan, after I watched Detroit beat Pittsburgh in Game one of the Stanley Cup Final, I read the game recaps from various NHL internet sites to see different peoples take on the same thing I watched.....

I think I may have watched a different game than everyone else last night.

I've consistently been reading how Detroit "overwhelmed" the Pens on the "strength" of Chris Osgood's goaltending.

Bullshit

Pittsburgh outplayed Detroit in their own building - they played an awesome road game - but the hockey gods were not smiling on Pittsburgh, as Osgood was VERY fortunate last night.


I'm not going to whine about the puck being covered on Osgood's back in the crease - he's just lucky it LANDED ON HIS BACK, and not the back of the net.
Pittsburgh had several spectacular chances, but the puck just seemed to always roll off their sticks...


Another thing thats burns me is the fact the Osgood was awarded the 1st star of the game .

GGRRRR


Osgood DID make a great save on a Malkin breakaway shot that was going top shelf - so I will give him credit on that for sure.

Again, luck is with the Wings in the way Mr. Fleury is putting pucks into the net himself, in shades of last years finals. The Wings only scored one legitimate goal, and that was by a fourth liner I've never heard of.
He's better figure out the boards or whatever the hell is troubling him and he better do it fast.
The Pens could have very easily won this game 4-1....



Pittsburgh could still take home ice advantage in this series with a victory tonight.

If they play the same game as last night, they will win.

A few notes:

- The faceoffs have got to get better - 30% is unnacepateble - I don't care if its on the road.
- I hate to say bench Gill, but the Wings are taking advantage of his slowness, and it will burn us.
- This Wings team looks beatable - probably because Hart trophy candidate Datsyuk is injured - we have to capitalize on this asap.
- Last night was the first time in the Penguins' last 11 games they didn't score in the third period.
- Game 1 winner has won 54 of 69 finals series since 1939.
- Gonchar HAS GOT TO STOP TRYING TO PASS THROUGH RED WINGS.... he must of gave the puck away 20 times - you're a veteran ... act like it..... !!@#^%@^@%^%$^#$%!
- It was awesome to see Orpik destroy Hossa in a clean brutal open ice hit.


I still think Pittsburgh can and will win this series - but they have to win tonight. I picked the Pens to win this series in 5 - I think it can still happen.

It is a must win situation already - thats how this Wings team rolls.

Again - apologies for not posting much - I'm studying for exams, and it is pretty much taking up all of my time - will post when I can.

GO PENS


No comments:

Post a Comment