Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pens blowout Craps - advance to 3rd round



People are calling this game a dud - to me this was freaking artistic.

I said in a previous post that I thought the Pens would win game 7 due to experience in a close game.
Well, I was pretty much right, but I was shown how valuable experience really is.
It was not a tight game - not even close.

To me the "TSN turning point" happened three minutes into the game.

Ovechkin started the game flying, and had a few pretty decent shots on goal - but then he was sent in alone on a breakaway, I knew that whatever happened, this was the play that was going to dictate the outcome of the game.
Here's the result:



Fleury stoned Alexander Ovechkin on a breakaway.

If Ovechkin scores on that play, he would have a taste for blood, and would have been nearly unstoppable.

If Ovechkin scores on that play, the crowd would have went NUTS adding to the momentum already generated by the goal.

If Ovechkin scores on that play, this game would have had a very different outcome.

But he didn't score.

Everyone was on Mr. Fleury for a bad game in game 6 when he gave up 5 goals at home. They were saying that he hasn't "stolen" a game this series like he did against Philadelphia in the first round.

Well, I think you can officially say Fleury stole a game, and he couldn't have picked a bigger game to steal.


I said at the beginning of this series that the winner between OV and Crosby would be the face of the NHL. Well, although Crosby and the Pens won, Ovechkin scored 14 points to Crosby's 13 points in the series - both unreal in my opinion.
But the CBC announcer (I think it was Bob Cole) hit it right on the head when he said that they are both awesome, Crosby is a more complete hockey player.

Let me say that again:

Crosby is a more complete hockey player.

And he plays on a more complete team.

How fitting was it that Crosby stole the puck from Ovechkin to score a beautiful breakaway goal.

Games 7's define careers - tonight the better player lead his team to victory. Period.


It was nice to see Gonchar back in the lineup tonight - I would have LOVED to hear what was said between him and Ovechkin in the handshake line after the game....should be interesting - hopefully we can find out. Gonchar did not want to talk about it in the post game interview.

Here is Ovechkin nailing one of his own teammates....

BAHAHAHAHA

I could continue on Ovechkin, but he is now officially old news


Bring on the winner of the Boston/Carolina series - I am hoping for Carolina based solely on the fact that we would have home ice advantage....both teams are deadly, and will give the Pens all they can handle.

8 down, and 8 to go!!

GO PENS



No comments:

Post a Comment